Old 03-26-2020, 02:35 PM
ttatummm

Default A Small Clarification

I have a machine that I want to French polish. I've read this thread and the other thread started by Glenn on this subject several times, but there is one thing I'm not sure about. Should I let the machine sit for a day or so between each application of shellac?

I picked up a Singer 66 in bad shape to practice on. Glad I did, because I missed the fact the denatured alcohol/boiled linseed oil part of the procedure was to prep the surface rather than to remove the shellac and I took off more of the shellac than I probably should have in my trial run. No matter this is just practice, I proceeded to apply shellac as indicated by Glen and it looked pretty good, not perfect but the marks left by the cloth were very slight and only noticeable when checking it at odd angles. But the marks got worse with additional coats. Not sure if this was because I should have given it more time to dry or if it was because I used more BLO with the later coats. You see I also missed that you need less BLO with each coat.

Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated,

Tammy

Last edited by ttatummm; 03-26-2020 at 02:36 PM. Reason: spelling