View Single Post
Old 03-28-2020, 05:03 AM
Iceblossom

Welcome to the board, waving from a safe personal distance away in Seattle.

As mentioned, double check that you aren't in bobbin winding mode and that the handwheel is properly engaged/positioned. Also double check that you didn't change a setting, like zigzag mode.

But I'm guessing it is something to do with the pedal as well and Lady Diana's link seems very reasonable, cost effective maybe not right now but timely solution. I know I've gotten things from them before and had excellent service.

I recently dropped my old vintage Remington's pedal when I was trying to set it up, and now have the same sort of problem as you. I can hand crank (and you can sew like that if you really really had to mend something), but no foot power. With my sewing machine there are two plug ins on the side -- if I take the foot pedal plug in the machine slot, the machine starts roaring at full speed and power and only way to control it is to quickly yank out the plug from the socket. I have vision issues and haven't taken the foot apart yet to see if it is fixable, but Hubby is taking Monday off and maybe that would be a good project for him.

I was setting up Remy because my modern Bernina 820 had worked the day before and without changing a single thing other than shutting it off and turning it on, it is feeling cranky and wants to visit the repair shop. Was just about to take it in when all this virus stuff hit the Seattle area. Depending on if I get a "servicing" or repair and whether it is in-house or shipped out, I'm expecting the Bernina to be between $100-300+.

It's another shop that I take my Remington to for parts or service (I found out decades ago that the Bernina dealer did not take the same delight in vintage machines that I do), and I'll probably take it there first in case they have something in the back. Have no idea what they will charge me, but I can't imagine very much, around the $10 range?? Well, after they are open again I can do that.

So right now I am using a very very bottom of the line Brother because working beats non-working! And for those of us who are cheap, doing work ourselves beats paying others -- but when we can't do it, they are worth every cent.