Old 04-01-2020, 06:56 AM
Iceblossom

I never did much small stuff but I had friends who were amazing. With that smaller seam allowance means a nice tight weave fabric. You also have to look at scale of fabric much more carefully and/or fussy cut.

Many of the techniques I've learned about "sewing large and trimming down" came from a lady who did miniatures. She loved silk thread for the fineness and the colors and used it in both her hand applique and I believe her machine miniature stitching, but I'm not certain on that. I wasn't too interested in needle sizes and types back then.

That lady had a special little ironing tool back before those were commonly sold in fabric stores. From what I recall the head was very triangular and it had to be set in a stand. It wasn't quite a wood burning tool but more along those lines -- nice that there are more options now. She made a special little ironing board too, had two sides one was an aida cloth so she could count the stitches... and the other side was "boiled flannel" if I recall, the fuzzy helped her position things.

I type well but often feel fumble-fingered when I'm trying to do handwork, I think you need the same tactile and dexterity for miniature sewing as you do for handwork but maybe not.