View Single Post
Old 04-04-2020, 03:21 PM
sewingpup

anything smaller than a fat quarter is a scrap to me. I wrap yardage larger than 2 yards around an 8.5 inch wide ruler..than fold it in half and stack it in my lawyers cabinet, any yardage between 1-2 yards gets wrapped around my 6 X 24 inch ruler and then folded in half and stacked in the same cabinet on the shelves which are covered with glass....this makes it easy to see approximately how much I have....yardage that is large enough for backing gets folded separately and stacked on the bottom shelve.with the exact yardage pinned to a corner with a pin. cuts between 1/2 yard and 1 yard are also wrapped around the 6 X 24 inch ruler but folded twice along the length and stacked on edge in a drawer....my fat quarters are also stacked in the drawer on edge. Everything else goes into those plastic bins usually sorted by color. I used to sort by warm, cool, and neutral colors but now have separated them further...when I need a particular color but not much of it....I go to these bins and pick one out....I also have some shoe box sized plastic boxes that hold strips sorted by width and squares sorted by size...and yep...got a box of just strings longer than 12 inches and a box of :crumbs...I used to try and cut all my scraps into strip and square sizes as they were created but have found just throwing them into the right bin more useful....when I do a Bonnie Hunter mystery....I just pull from my scrap bins first...then the fat quarters, then the 1/2 yards...and maybe the 1-2 yard ones.....

Last edited by sewingpup; 04-04-2020 at 03:25 PM.