View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 05:30 AM
Iceblossom

So another top done... Simplish/Horse with No Name. Had the CD full of America's Greatest Hits, plus 60s and 70s gold to dance and sing along with. The piece of desert background was so badly cut, I should have theoretically been able to get two more strips out of it which would have helped me a lot and if I had two full yards it would be quite different.

Originally designed with 24 blocks (8 across, 3 sets down), this is 12 blocks, 6 across, 2 down, plus the top and bottom "border" blocks. The border fabric and the border blocks are the same fabric as the backing, which was one of my $1/yard Walmart buys from last year. I originally cut 8 of the red/white horse fabric before I found I was so short on the background and decided to use 6. The other 6 are dark backgrounds. Even with such a simple design and so few blocks I played with them and amused myself for quite awhile before arriving at this layout, with the dark fabrics along the outer edge.

Always a decision on how to work with directional fabrics... I decided that even though I was working with very directional fabric I didn't want it to end up as directional, so would construct all my blocks the same way so that half would be upside down. The border blocks I decided to face the same way with the outer border the same orientation. The sides I could have more easily cut along the long edge but then I was faced with the directional issues again, so decided to cut across the width. I actually put the first side on upside down... wanted the feet on the inside and the heads out, but it's amazing how when faced with a long seam to take out that I can change my mind on such things!

I have another little project that isn't quite kitted out but all the fabrics are collected. Thinking that's next...
Attached Thumbnails horse-blanket.jpg   horse-corner.jpg