View Single Post
Old 04-13-2020, 01:17 PM
Iceblossom

Well, sometimes a great plan doesn't work so well. It's a good thing I always do a test block or two and I immediately found out that my star blades were much too wide! I'm using a ruler I've had for 20 or so years and the width of strip I thought I needed and markings it had matched -- but it turned out it wasn't the measurement I wanted! That's the problem with some of the specialty rulers is when you still need the book to use it well, or maybe I just need to do a few more projects with it. I do have my lonestar sampler coming up so part of deciding on the Lemoyne star was to gain some skills before that one.

Had to make yet another one of my taped ruler tools. Turns out that even when I try to sew precisely, I'm still ending up with cutting large and trimming down.

It's all good though, I'm having zero issues with the set in squares. I'm zipping up the diagonal seam and then placing the square using that little mark I made to help line it up. Then I'm actually sewing from the other side, using the existing seam as my starting point. Fold and twirl and sew the next seam.
Attached Thumbnails easter-trim.jpg   100_5665.jpg