View Single Post
Old 04-17-2020, 08:50 AM
Vasilisa

And here is more photos. These come from Santa Maria in Trastevere (lit. "on the other side of the Tevere river"). That quarter used to be kind of inner city in the ancient times, as opposed to the quarters nearer the center, with their palaces, temples and entertainment facilities (the Colosseum etc.). But it was the quarter where Christianity gained most popularity when it spread to Rome. It was not until the later Middle Ages, though, that a decent church, comparable to what is on the richer side of the river, was built. The mosaics there are therefore in better state - they are a few centuries younger and the basilica was not frequented by pilgrims from all over the world as ardently as those in Vatican or around the Colosseum.

To this day the Trastevere area retains some of the town folk atmosphere and the Santa Maria basilica seems more like a local parish church than a tourist attraction. The quarter is more affordable regarding food and accomodation, and I am definitely going to stay there next time I go to Rome.This was my third time in Rome and it was lucky, but it is certainly not going to be the last one.
Attached Thumbnails trastevere-1.jpg   trastevere-2.jpg   trastevere-3.jpg   trastevere-4.jpg   trastevere-5.jpg