View Single Post
Old 04-19-2020, 08:19 AM
Iceblossom

Joe'smom, I had a couple of rolls of ribbons and trims that I got for when I finally make my kuspuks.
https://www.lapassionvoutee.com/what-is-a-kuspuk/

I'm concerned that silky ribbons won't hold a knot well, but one of the ones I had was a good color of red with like a hibiscus textured embossed design that provided some grip. I had already done a wash test with it, sewing both sides on to a white piece of fabric and watching for how well it held up, did it bleed, and did it shrink and it passed all tests. I have a limited amount of the textured grosgrain type ribbon, that works well for the knots. The thicker more embroidered trims are just too heavy to fold over, but if you had a spool of 1/4" woven that would be fine.

I'm making "walking around masks" despite Florida beaches being open, our parks in the Seattle/Washington area are still closed and we aren't supposed to be going to them. When we do go out just in our own neighborhood, "they" want us to wear masks. These are not meant for people with compromised systems, or for first line workers but for the rest of us. They are washable, just remember that "pleats go down" which makes sense, you want stuff to fall off you and not be stuck around your face.

Anyway, my masks are very simple and since Seattle is out of elastic and since I have yards and yards of strange fabrics that I've used for quilt bindings, I'm encasing the raw edges of the mask in double-fold bias binding. The ribbon I had was 7/8" and folded into a tie that worked nicely. I just zigzag up binding.

Somewhere between 1.5-2" is a good width for the raw fabric for the binding. In the picture below (which is my mask!) the yellow strings were 1.5" cut, folded in half, then the raw edges folded in again. Two bindings are cut at 36", centered on mask raw edges. It is much easier to work with yard long pieces than long lengths, and that way you know ahead of time if you have enough and not cut one exactly and have the next 4" short...

A good size for large adults, I start with a rectangle, 8.5x16". This has no pocket, so just sew the seam with right sides together, since no pocket I just use 1/4" seam. I press open, turn right side out, and slightly offset the seam, make my pleats, stay stitch. Then after I have some, I pin on the bindings and set to zig zag.
Attached Thumbnails 100_5668.jpg