View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 02:20 PM
ckcowl
Power Poster

I used another 9 3/4 yards of stash fabric making my second showering stars quilt, all scraps except the blue background fabric which was 5 yards. I will use another 3 yards of a wide backing when I get to quilting it.

My oldest son (41 yrs) lives in Kentucky, last year in November I sent him a new sewing machine and some supplies for his birthday. Life was busy and although he was excited to receive it he hadn’t taken any time to use it- although he read the manual a few times. When he lost his job a month ago due to our pandemic he decided he had time to try it out. He started just trying out every stitch, playing around- then he started making face masks, trying to find the one that fit best- then he expressed a desire to maybe make a quilt. He was sending me texts and pictures. Knowing he and his wife have had a rough stressful winter and have been struggling due to large, unexpected financial hits I asked him what supplies he had. I packed up a box with a cutting mat, rotary cutter, couple rulers, pins and clover clips and some fabric, then I parked a second box with about 20 yards of fabric ranging from 1/2 yard to 2 yard pieces . So, that’s about 23 more yards out of my stash. Between the 2 boxes. He was so excited when he received that big box. Today he was sending me pictures of star blocks he’s making- they are so good!
inhad sent him a note with the box saying to visit ( quilters cache) for block patterns.

there is actually some room on my shelves! Pretty soon I will spend a day organizing, straightening up the shelves- seems like I’ve been just cramming for so long. I am working on another scrap quilt too. I’ve been able to stay motivated and productive through this isolation so far.