View Single Post
Old 04-26-2020, 07:16 AM
Iceblossom

No, Matt is just the neighbor! He had never sewn a stitch before last week and now he is customizing face masks with facings and removable filters and such for his mother in law. It is so funny, the joy and glee and shine in his eye as he shows me his works and asks questions.

My son (James) grew up with me quilting just like me cooking or cleaning out the cat box... like in many families, an artist is rarely recognized or treated as such He has zero interest in anything fabric related, other than if they will ever come out with a color darker than black. He has a distinct design sense and is a talented pencil artist himself. When he would go to quilt shows with me when he was young, he always liked the appliqued quilts best. I'd say, "but that's not what mommy does" and he said "yeah, but it's what I like". So there we were. By the time he was 3 he could recognize the outside of a fabric store and would sigh and say "fawbwic mommy??". But by the time he was 6 he found out there were craft kits and other things a mom could easily be extorted to buy for a son who asked and would volunteer on Saturday that we could go fabric shopping that day.

I know people are surprised that I "have" to donate most of my quilts. I work much faster than I have any need, and I have a small family who is unimpressed, is always something I've done after all. They all have a "blanket" or two, and yes they appreciate them but none of them necessarily really want them. I have to admit my own favorite blanket is a lightweight microfiber thing more of a throw than a blanket, much less a quilt.