View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 01:18 AM
Murphy224

I would think the shortage of sewing machines will be short lived. They are all made in other countries who are also battling this Covid 19 virus. The manufacturing plants in other countries are shut down much like the plants in the US. I would also guess that where ever fabric is manufactured is also facing this same issue and we may see "shortages" of fabric. I don't know the "supply chain" of fabric but I know there is not much manufactured in the US. But at some point there may be a delay or shortage of fabric as well as other things we buy that are made in other countries.
I read an article the other day explaining about the shortage of yeast. Very interesting that the companies that make and market yeast like Fleischmann's, Red Star, etc. Didn't anticipate the demand for yeast i(who would have?) and did not manufacture enough to cover the demand. Then when they tried to catch up, they had to rely on jars made in China and paper packaging made in India. Again not being manufactured due to shutdowns due to the pandemic.
So until the world gets back into full production and the supply chains are restored, the shortages we see now will be short lived, and not a permanent condition.
Stay safe out there and keep sewing!