View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 03:12 PM
juliasb

Welcome to the QB! I live in SE Michigan where spring is trying to spring finally. There are all kinds of people here that are willing to help you learn to quilt and become comfortable with fabric. Like you, I love my embroidery machine and it gets a big work out. When I am not quilting I am using the embroidery machine. We have an extensive block library that can help you get started. Blocks can be identified by how easy to complex they are. This can give you an idea on some places to start.https://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html. Having some of the basic tools helps a great deal. A good rotary cutter a 24"x6" acrylic ruler and a self healing cutting mat will last you for a very long time. Then all you need is fabric. Quilting these days is usually done with 100% cotton fabrics. You want a good quality fabric to work with.
Since the majority of LQS (Local Quilt Shop) are closed because of COVID we are blessed to have a good range of YouTube videos to choose from. When I was learning I used Quilt in a Day. Now I would recommend Missouri Star Quilt Company (MSQC) Her tutorials are fantastic!
The best way to start is to do some practice pieces. Become familiar with your tools being very careful not to cut yourself! There is always someone here that can help you along the way. No question is stupid or dumb. We all started from somewhere and I can guarantee that our first quilts were far from perfect. So jump right in and you will fit right in with all of us. Again Welcome to the QB!