View Single Post
Old 05-01-2020, 01:26 PM
ThreeAndCounting

Default Just looking at my machines... I have 3 different machines

Just found your site. I have 3 machines...
the newest I inherited from my late Mother in Law... it's a Touch & Sew 648. I found out, one of the gears, to the right of the cam, has broken. I was in the middle of making some masks for Hubby and I.
I thought, some one up there, thinks it's time for me to get my Way older machines, out of the shed. I have a Manual #127 shuttle bobbin and according to ISMACS.net and it's serial number ( B353288 ) it was made May 14th 1904.
it has a 5 draw cabinet. The table top had been in a picture window and when it rained, it leaked on it. BUT the machine was Puff !
I recieved this as payment for helping to do a house clean out. It still had the puzzle box with it .
I also picked up a machine from my 83 yr old cousin. The machine only had one owner... her mother, who passed away 5 years ago at the age of 103. The cousin didn't use it and I thought I could pick up some extra attachments, if I took it.
It comes in the original #40 cabinet.
It came with 2 booklets. One for Singer electric machines class 201-2. The other Booklet for electric machines
101-3 & 101-11. I searched ( via mobile) the ISMACS site.. it looks confusing...
It looked like it might be a #201-2.
But I went out to the shed and looked over the booklets again and it looks like I have a 101-3.
The wiring from the wall plug to the 3 prong Singer plug, is all falling apart.
Being as it was more than likely made,
about 1927 ( series # AB786114) and it only had one owner ( my great aunt) should I think about going over the wires, from the motor, out the bottom of the machine and down to the 3 prong singer plug, at the back of the cabinet?
replaceing the wire from the 3 prong Singer plug, to the wall, is a definite yes, for replacement.
The great aunt was using white surgical cloth tape, to tape over any bare wires...
and there is lots of it. Lololo
Anyway, I've been bad... very bad to my old machines, putting them in the shed, until I could get to them. And now they need a Good Cleaning.
On the up side... everything on both old Singers, moves freely and under the motor cover, looks like it's brand new.
I did see the Blog of the guy that did the potted motor overhaul. But my motor mounts on the back of the machine and the wires come out 2 holes in the base.
I also should mention, that the flywheel is
3 3/4" in diam. Not quite 4 ". No spokes.

I did take multiple picts.
I'll have to figure out how to post them.

Thanks for the input.
have a wonderful day. :-)
Jen