View Single Post
Old 05-02-2020, 01:56 AM
Mkotch

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
ummm...don't know how big your bedroom and bed are....but could you strip your bed....carefully lay out the backing batting, and top on it....and start pinning it from the center out keeping everything straight....suggested stripping the bed just because I think it would be easier to avoid pinning the quilt to the bedding ...if you had a large enough dining table that could also be used.....I have done this method before I got my long arm as my knees are bad...
I use this method, too, but I leave the bedding on. I have a couple of older cutting mats that I've saved to slide under the sandwich so I don't end up pinning the bedding. If the quilt is larger than the bed, I start in the middle and pin well before sliding the quilt back and forth to pin the sides. I have found this method works best if the quilt back is either unwashed (iron well) or starched so that it is stiff and lays flat easily.

I also quilt larger quilts in sections, but this means pre-planning by not putting it all together before basting. Marti Michell has a book about this method that I have used.