View Single Post
Old 05-03-2020, 02:58 PM
Quiltah Mama

I have recently "upgraded" my way of how I handle scraps, I read a few ideas on this board that I really liked the sound of, so decided to give them a try and so far so good. For many years I only kept 2.5 inch strips or partial strips, everything else went into the trash. I am not a fan of scrap quilts, I have tried some different techniques of squares with scraps, but I just cannot get myself to enjoy it, you know, the guilt of throwing away those expensive fabric pieces........ So to get rid of my guilt: My preference is still a 2.5 inch strip, but I have now added 5" blocks. My thought behind that was charm packs, we pay for those, and yes they do generally coordinate when you purchase a packet. I bought one of those shoe box size plastic bins, and I can put two stacks in, and can generally match enough for a project. I read on here at sometime about the various sizes and how someone managed their scraps, and adding the 5" block made sense to me, and so far it has worked well. I enjoy PP, so have lots of odd scraps, and various odd scraps from other blocks, I used to throw those away, but again, read on here, .... I now have a flat rate box in my closet, I toss my decent size scraps in there, and will mail it someday to someone who enjoys crumbs for whatever their technique is to use them. Lots of various things to do with your scraps, and this is what works for me. I feel I waste very little now. Hope this helps spark some ideas for you.

And another idea, I don't do this, but I have read on here also, for those smaller scraps, toss them in a plastic bin or basket once you have enough, pile them on your cutting mat and cut randomly to very small pieces to use as filling in donation dog/cat beds. I myself thought that was brillant.