View Single Post
Old 05-04-2020, 04:23 AM
OurWorkbench

Default May 2020 Sewing Machine Get-Together - Part 2

Dorothy

Dorothy has been busy sewing masks and sent some pictures of what she's doing. She says:

Hello!

Safer at home and the garbage disposal goes out. It is always an adventure!
I have been sewing the needed masks for family & friends mostly on a modern machine as it moves PDQ!

My next lot of masks are for my Niece who has a Salon for Men which she is hoping to start up with clients May 1. She requested Blue masks.

I moved to my 319W to sew these. It is a nice machine with the possible exception of the foot pedal. I am not a fan of the knob and button foot pedal, so eventually will get an electronic pedal for this machine. I think I have 20 cams. Attached a photo of some which are delightful!

dorothy-comp1.jpg

This is the machine that takes a 206 x 13 needle available in 12 or 14 from Schmetz. I had heard a rumor the Industrial needle DB x 1 would work so I tried it- ( box of 100 size 12 Ball Points left over from my Pfaff Hobbyloc serger). They work! Very pleased!
The butt is round, smaller in diameter, and longer than the 206 x13. Overall length and distance to eye are the same.

dorothy-comp2.jpg

Have a Great month!

Dorothy

Seb

Seb, our newest member and better at distancing than any of us (from France), sent an interesting sewing machine manual. He writes:

Hello, I've been busy all morning and I'm able to send you my contribution...

This is the instruction manual which my grandmother got in 1956 with her Singer 15B75 (aluminum body cast in Clydebank, Scotland but assembled in Bonnières, France)
This booklet is rather unique: it not only has the regular instructions for good use of both the machine and attachments but also many many instructions about sewing tools, dressmaking, free-motion machine embroidery. It gives a lovely insight at culture in the 1950s, tastes, but also the place of women in society. To illustrate this, I have translated the preface and forewords (pages 4 & 5). One nice bonus in this booklet was the detachable measurement card insert; I love that it advises women to check their measurements every six months! On this card, there is also a historical note: a mention of Singer Sewing Centers being present in most cities in Metropolitan France and Northern Africa, hinting at France's colonial past.

seb-front-cover.jpg

I enclose (possibly as a Google Docs link) a picture of my grandma's machine, a picture of the cover, of the measurement card, my translation of the preface and forewords ...

seb-singer15b-1956.jpg

seb-comp.jpg

Seb's translation follows here:

"Madam,

You have become the proud owner of a SINGER sewing machine, the most technologically advanced of all existing sewing machines.

French-made, heir to a century of experience and technique, well-tested and approved by women in the whole world, your new SINGER has many joys in store for you.
This booklet was made to help you becoming familiar with your SINGER while revealing to you all its secrets and all its resources.

It also contains such practical tips about cutting, darning and embroidery you will find useful.

We therefore hope to contribute to better serve you in this noble task, Women's privilege: Sewing.

The SINGER Company"

-----------

"Since Antique Times, sewing has always been woman's own way of expressing herself. Throughout the centuries, progress in sewing has accompanied progress of civilization.
By putting sewing machines within the reach of everyone as early as 1851, SINGER has rendered the world a service beyond appreciation.

Ever since, SINGER has been devoted to researching ways to improve family sewing and expanding its scope.

The special attachments, of the most varied kind, will today allow a beginner to accomplish sewing projects with a precision and a finish that would in the past have required several years of practice.

During the cutting and sewing lessons, a beginner learns to make a dress, starting with the fabric and her own personal measurements ; she does it herself under the wise guidance of the instructor, thus avoiding trial and error and many difficulties as well.
Darning and embroidery lessons teach ladies and young girls alike that a sewing machine is not made to stitch seams and hems only.

The practical knowledge accumulated by SINGER throughout years of research has been condensed in this booklet and in the book « Darning and Embroidery » of which you will find a few extracts thereafter, right after the instruction manual of your SINGER and just before some useful practical tips.

In Singer Sewing Centers, instructors are at your disposal to teach you to make your own dress yourself in 8 lessons. You will thus learn, through experience to dress elegantly and thriftily."

------------

Thank you for organizing another virtual Get-Together and stay safe!

Seb

In an additional email Seb wrote regarding his mask making:
I've settled on the pleated ones: they're quick to make and comfortable-ish to wear. I'm mostly using the treadle 201 so there should not be a problem. To please my 6 year old niece I used the Featherweight (birthday present from my sister) during a WhatsApp video conversation she asked me if I used the "baby machine Mummy got you for your birthday" So I did... At some point the machine refused to sew over the thick of the pleats, I was astonished a Featherweight would refuse to sew 5 layers but it turned out the stop motion knob was slightly unscrewed... A firm rescrewing did the trick.

************* to be continued....