Thread: Practicing FMQ
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2020, 08:12 AM
Iceblossom

Well me, I go to the thrift store first and start looking for ugly tops to finish, or yarn tied quilts "already layered for me to work on" and snip out the ties and go to work quilting down. Patterned sheets are good to follow the designs. You really need something at least 3 foot square for any sort of real world application, unless you will be strip quilting.

What I've found with my Bernina is for FMQ I really want the machine flush with table height, even though I'm generally pretty happy sewing with the machine just set on table top. I'm looking for an actual sewing table that will accommodate this monster footprint, I do have the acrylic insert.

So mostly I set a goal/project with something to learn on. Even though it may not be obvious, I'm usually working on something with each of my projects, whether it is construction techniques or art sense or whatever. These are different learning/donation quilts I did last year when I was learning to use my Bernina -- and before it broke down, it wasn't just a loose thread but needs a repair. Good news is the shop is open again. These are all what I would call "slice and dice" projects, minimal time piecing to get something to practice quilting on.

(1) "Daisy Ducks" was FMQ with Paper Patterns, with my vision issues I sew through paper often to get the effects I want. I bought this top for $1.99. It was layered with two thick layers of batting and had a too small not right flannel pinned on the bottom. I made a back out of stash, donated the flannel to a local preemie group, and made the next quilt with the rest of the batting.

(2) "Every Which Way" free hand FMQ, simple meander. I decided to try Superior's Military Gold thread for the quilting to echo the narrow gold line in the print and it worked wonderfully. The print fabric was given to me at my Tuesday group -- I saw this quilt in it immediately. Solids were stash. The batting was that thick one from the Daisy Project.

(3) "Pig Pen" last year was year of the Pig. This isn't technically FMQ, I was using the walking foot and doing grids, trying out my machines capabilities. Fabrics were bought a thrift store sale that supports the transitional homing shelter I will be giving most of my donated quilts. Someone had a bunch of pig fabrics, this was only a couple of them for front and back. Definitely paid under $5 for everything involved.

(4) "Seahawk Pink" again, not FMQ but learning my machine. This was my first ever serpentine stitch quilting project. All of the top fabrics came sorted together in a bag at the thrift store for less than $5. Another too thick batting, bought it at the thrift store and even though I like thick batting, I was wishing it was a bit lighter/more flexible. But simple griding with a fancy stitch was all it needed.
Attached Thumbnails daisy-ducks.jpg   daisy-paper-quilting.jpg   every-way.jpg   pig-pen-bound.jpg   seahawk-bound.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 05-06-2020 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Darn it, forgot that upload button (again!)