Old 05-09-2020, 06:56 AM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by lostandfound View Post
Disclaimer: wall of text from non native speaker incoming
Welcome. Very good from non native - better than some native speakers.

I told him what I'd like him to do with the treadle, and he straight out refused to "destroy" it
Good that he refused. -- That machine should be saved and returned to its original purpose.

Seems to be an early Howe Stockwell Model A from 1868-1869?
It still has needle, bobbins and shuttle?
the condition is probably horrible.
Maybe a little later, but not much. Having needle, bobbins and shuttle is a very big plus. I don't see any drawers that would have more bobbins, but it does look like since the shuttle is there with thread coming out that it should have at least one bobbin.
Granted the condition isn't very good. It does take a lot of work, time and patience to restore these old machine. It took a lot of time to get in that condition, so don't expect immediate results. Here are a couple of images of a newer machine with a lot of rust.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...img_9169.1.jpg
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...2-img_3600.jpg
These were found in the rather long thread, but has some amazing before and after images. Can this machine be rescued?

Also this 18 M.O. 69 in the corner of the table, what does that one mean?
I'm guessing that this would be the maker of the treadle base and either the year (1869) that it was made or the year the company was formed.

Please, please, please do not make it into a table!!!!

I have no idea how it got to Austria, but it is a neat find and worth it to be saved.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 05-09-2020 at 06:58 AM.