View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 11:27 AM
Iceblossom

My mother was a very good cook by 1950s/1960s standards -- if it was in a Betty Crocker Cookbook, she could knock it out of the park. By the 1970s she was working more and cooking less. My mom actually was a home ec teacher, although she majored in the sewing side of things in classwork she learned to cook in self defense. She used to do some great yeast stuff and makes a really good pie crust that I have no skill at.

Her own mother was one of the last 3 in a family of 9 including 6 sisters and she just never learned to cook. She was always rather indifferent to food, if it was in front of you, that is what you ate. My aunt (elder to my mom) was similar, didn't much care and while she could eat tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich every day, seems sort of excessive to make two things. Her Easter Dinner was one of her best meals of the year, ham, Betty Crocker Au Gratin Potatoes, and because she's being fancy the green bean casserole or it's close cousin the Pea Dish. It's funny that my uncle (youngest of the three) married another woman who simply not only didn't like cooking but refused to cook.

My dad was in the Army so mostly we didn't have family near enough to go to, but some years we did. His side of the family is mostly Czech. His mom was an ok cook, but it was his aunt that was the great cook of the family so I got to eat a lot of traditional dishes but I didn't get the chance to help make them.

I'm a pretty darn good cook when I pay attention. Otherwise... oh there are variations on what really is "done". It took my hubby a year or two to notice that "You know, I go into the kitchen and there is nothing there, you go in and half an hour later there is something great ready to eat". I consider that high praise.

I've always been big on growing my own foods, or picking berries or whatever, and then you have to use them or store them. Part of that comes from my mom's side of things. Her family had it pretty good, Washington state wasn't as hard hit by the depression as some areas and her father worked through it, but that sort of thing changes people. My grandma was the type to hide money under the mattress and kids were expected to go out and pick some stuff and that carried through, plus I love the growing part of the equation.