View Single Post
Old 05-14-2020, 08:52 AM
leonf

"I am another who worries over taking tensions apart. The Singer manuals are not written well regarding this. subject. After several frustrating attempts, and mixed luck,"

This is what got me into this madness. GF had a featherweight with tension issues G, "fix in Leon." L " I don't knw anything about a sewing machine. G/ "but you are a gear head" l" Not on something this small. G' "I have the manual" L " manuals only tell you so much. and this was your mother's machine" G "YouTube videos." L 15 ways to do it wrong and mebbe one way that works." G' It will cost me $100.00 and it will be gone for 3 weeks if I take it in." L "hmm I can take it apart and not break anything." G "give it a try." So with manual in hand and you tube at the ready I tore it down, cleaned oil, put it back together. No luck, Tried again, no luck Youtubes, a bit of improvement. G" Well, Thanks for trying." L What do you mean, I'm just getting started." G, " oh." More tinkering and it was stitching. fine. YAY . She had it running the same evening/ Then I got curious about how a sewing machine actually worked. 150 machines later I am getting pretty good at them and have no fear of working with tensions. Well, except for Whites and that's because I haven't had too. I tore a tension apart on a 99 and put it back together and handed it to GF. I'd adjusted it just with a stray piece of thread. Once she threaded it. I had it right on the money.