Thread: New here
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 08:51 AM
Iceblossom

Hi Annie! I've also been quilting for about 40 years although it doesn't seem like all that so long ago.

Everything else being equal, get the biggest throat you can! But if you can, actually sit at and do a test drive on both machines. Some times we just click with one brand/machine than another. I think Babylock fans (in general) are more diehard than Janome fans (who are out there too!).

I was given a modern Bernina 820 with a huge throat and it makes such a difference, I can't go back to my trusty old vintage machine that I scrunched quilts through for 20 years.

Although for piecing I like the machine on table top height, for quilting I wish I did have a drop down top to make it all flush and I'm watching Craig's List for an affordable option for me -- I do have the acrylic plate but that 820 is such a huge heavy beast.

edit/also: Check on what designers are carried for embroidery designs. I've had friends make their choices solely on that, they wanted a particular set of characters and that limited them greatly.