View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 11:11 AM
tropit

Default Saimin, Ramen, Soba & Udon

I grew up eating Saimin in Hawaii. I was shocked to see the Ramen craze take hold on the mainland when I came back here. Geesh! Wasn't it the same as Saimin? Was this some sort of Saimin knockoff? Actually, there are subtle differences, such as the kinky, alkaline Saimin noodles and their distinct taste and there better be some Spam in my Saimin bowl...not so with Ramen. Good Ramen is kinda bland, IMHO and that bad Ramen that you comes freeze dried in a styrofoam cup is just plain disgusting.

Then there's Udon...thick, chewy, white, probably not too healthy, but yummy none the less. It's a texture thing.

Lots of people seem to get confused about Soba noodle soup. Soba noodles are not made with wheat, but with buckwheat, which is not a form of wheat at all. I think that they are probably the most nutritious of the bunch. They're thin and serene as they float in the bowl.

I think that my favorite is Saimin...what's yours?

PS, I have a favorite Saimin noodle recipe, if you're interested in going to the trouble of making it by hand. It's a lot of work, but soooo good!

~ C