View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 02:17 PM
booboohd

Thumbs up My Darning or Quilting Machine

c1.jpg
Well this is quite a rare find and probably the most expensive vintage sewing machine I ever bought.
It is a chandler 138. It may be similar or a copy of the singer 177-2.

Got her yesterday and cleaned up. Oiled and lube the gears. Also, dip metal parts on CLR. The cord is need rewiring but I can buy a new pedal. The pedal is actually a knee pedal not a foot pedal.
c2.jpgc3.jpgc4.jpgc5.jpg

The reason I bought this is that, it has a built in motor. Wanting the singer 47w70 for darning but it needs a separate motor and table and as of right now my studio is not big enough for two industrial machine. This machine is used to repair patches and jeans. Also, if the motor fails then I can just buy a new motor and it will run again.

The needle is 177x1 but they do not make them anymore. The seller had a needle on it when he demonstrated and after a closer look it says GB 110. This mean it used the Groz beckert 110 needles. I am glad it has bobbin case but I need to see what type of bobbins it uses. I may have to look at my singer featherweight.

I can finally repair jeans and also quilt easier. To attach this sewing machine. I am thinking of buying a cart and drilling holes on top. Similar below and just remove the middle shelf.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-24-2020 at 05:51 PM. Reason: pics hosted offsite are not permitted