View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 12:44 PM
quiltingcandy

My grandmother and my aunt did not sew more than to mend something - and then, only if they had to. My mother or my great grandmother did all that for them when they were around. But my aunt moved to Los Angeles to go to college and my mom moved to WA in 1962 when my dad was transferred there by Boeing. So they did not use their machines much. My aunt was given a FW and still has it - I wonder if the best is still flexible enough to work. And my grandmother had 2 treadles. So if someone told me a machine wasn't used much that may be the reason, especially if they grew up in the era that it was important to have a machine. (Neither of my daughters have machines and they do not want them. All mending comes to my house.) You just need to ask questions and test a machine.

I hate to admit it but I don't think I would buy anything used if it were built after 1970. All those plastic gears were nice in theory but fell apart when they aged. I say that from experience. I am so glad so many are going back to making more reliable machines.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 05-26-2020 at 12:49 PM.