View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 10:54 AM
Iceblossom

What really bums me out is when I ask, "I see there is a sewing machine there, any chance there are bags of fabric around?" and then find out "oh, we didn't think anyone would want that and threw it out".

I'm really taken with Morse machines when I see them... it's always hard for me to turn them down but I have enough machines! I just shouldn't look but I do.

Hint: If you are in the market for a good machine, watch not only estate sales but storage locker clean outs after divorces. Sometimes the guys just have no idea on how much their wife spent on that machine... You do want the ones that were obviously never used and assume that they are in perfect condition -- just bought and never used. I understand some people do that.

When my hubby moved here, he brought his Grandmother's machine in cabinet with him. It is no beauty. It still works, or did when we plugged it in and tested it 15 years ago. Think maybe it is a Wards? Rough black finish, basic cheap stand, but it was part of her life and the family's life and their memories of her at the machine and hearing it buzz along. It sits now in a place of honor as a lamp stand under a picture painted by my grandmother, bringing our families together.