View Single Post
Old 05-28-2020, 01:57 PM
leaha

Wink safety in the sewing room

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Actually - safety does require thinking - sometimes what one thinks can be harmless - can be a hazard.

An example: I had a cat that liked to get into my thread. He had thread wrapped around his toes. Fortunately, one of the granddaughters spotted it and we "rescued" him. I learned to put a pillow case over the serger so his little paws could not get at the threads.

Holding pins in one's mouth - not a good idea.

I learned that my cold "auto-shut-off iron" - turned itself back on when I moved it and set it on the floor while I was clearing off my ironing board. Fortunately, I was there and smelled it melting the carpet - but I am not happy with the scar in the carpet.
I should have unplugged it first - but it was cold!

Look at the labels on containers. Sometimes containers can be very similar - and the contents are not! I am not going to explain that one again!

so sorry did not mean to make you angry, what I meant by by no brainer, is safety comes first and always! Safety is the very first thing I teach in my classes, for every thing in the room, sewing machine, rotary cutters, seam rippers, pins, irons, needles, scissors, chairs, and to not leave matts in the sun, and the same goes for things in dye shed, you have to learn how to use each item the right way with no harm to your self or others.