View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 08:40 AM
CaleyH

Default Hello from the High Desert Burner

Hi Everyone. I'm Caley, and live in 29 Palms, California. That means that for most of the year, we are living in scorching weather. I think our Winter lasts a couple of months.

I am really new to any kind of crafts thing. I spent 24 years in the US Air Force, and as a consequence, couldn't tote a lot around with me. So my sewing experience is either send things to a seamstress, or carefully use needle and thread to do my own sewing.

I dabbled in a few crocheted Afghans. But again, they weighed a lot, and had to give them as gifts, or sell them.

After the Air Force, I spent 10 years in civilian work, but again, didn't accumulate much, as I was just barely making ends meet, while trying to pay for my first house. Then I got disabled on the job. Apparently my hands didn't like the repetitive aspect of my last job, and I got a nasty type or arthritis in my hands.

And so, nearly 20 years after leaving my last job, I, for some reason, want to try my hands at a craft, quilting.

So I am starting from scratch. Based on what I have seen on YouTube videos, the main item needed is a sewing machine that is capable of handling the quilting material. I haven't a clue as to what I will need for a machine.
I purchased a 45 mm rotary cutter. I already have a cutting pad.

And I have absolutely no threads or other things not mentioned above that will get me started. I'd appreciate any help given. Just to let Everyone know, I live in a very small house, 750 square feet, so I don't have a lot of room. My sewing corner will probably be in my living room. So I need to keep the amount of stuff to the basics.