View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 12:00 PM
Iceblossom

I think that machine can do everything you want Caley, the Project Runway is about one step up from the one I was happy with.

I have vision issues myself, and the the threading assist on even my bottom of the line Brother helps tremendously.

There are a couple different variations but for threading machines, I love the "hummingbird" style needle threaders.

Bobbins are the standard, I find the way Brother designs their machines to help with putting in the bobbin correctly. Again, with my low end one, it is very difficult to put it in wrong. When you are buying your supplies, buy some extra bobbins to go with your machine. Not all bobbins fit all machines!

We have a couple of things called quilting feet that are a little different. Some people are referring to a walking foot, but it looks like your model comes with what I call a quilting foot, which has your 1/4" markings left/right/front and back. I was very pleased with the accuracy of mine, which I had to buy separately from my machine.

For thread I work mostly with scrap quilts and can't match my thread to my fabrics. Plus I can't see it when I do so. I typically use a light beige and a light grey, one on top and one on bottom. They blend well and I can see them. I don't like running out of bobbin thread and typically I prewind a number of them at a time. I've happily used Dual Duty for years but have recently started switching to Aurifil on top and a lighter weight thread on the bottom. But that's after 30 years of using the same thread top and bottom.

Cotton "Quilting" threads are usually meant for the quilting and not the piecing. Some of us find some of the store brands rather linty.

For modern quilting techniques, we use a pretty small stitch. If/when you sew a seam you should never be able to easily pull apart any stitches. That means your stitch length is too long. Most modern machines with a preset size is too long for quilting, I think mine defaults at 2.25 but I sew around 1.85. Vintage machines we talk in terms of stitches per inch, you want to be starting around 12 stitches and not 10, and certainly not less than 10. Some machines (like mine) are sneaky and start a little smaller than they actually sew, so you cut through your seam and pull gently on either side to see if it moves or comes out. A little loosening or a V is acceptable.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 05-29-2020 at 12:03 PM.