View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 06:52 PM
Anniedeb

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I'm afraid I routinely break many of the rules others have set for themselves, and I'm not at all ashamed of it. (Perhaps I should be?)

I only buy pressure sensitive rotary cutters, so they close on their own.
I fall out of love with almost every quilt somewhere during the construction process, but if I discontinued work on it I wouldn't have the chance to fall back in love again. Sometimes that happens before the quilt is finished, sometimes a year later, but it has always happened.
I have sewn over pins many times, and seldom had a bad result. I don't try to do so, but it happens.
I only unplug the machines when I'm expecting a thunderstorm, or when I will be away for an extended period of time. I try to remember to at least turn them off, but sometimes I forget.
I leave it to the auto-shut-off feature of the iron most of the time.
I prefer to keep my workspace neat, but it often isn't. While sewing, I have no problem throwing loose threads and tiny scraps on the floor. They get picked up eventually.
Points are supposed to match, and I try to see that they do, but a little deviation is acceptable.

I do pre-wash, except for pre-cuts, and I do press seams. I do check the size of the units as the block/quilt progresses and adjust my seam allowance as necessary. And if I find that I'm making too many mistakes, I stop for the day.
This is me pretty much. I guess I never thought of them as "rules". I just figured this is how I do it...especially the auto shut-off part, and the throwing the threads and scraps on the floor part!