View Single Post
Old 06-02-2020, 02:50 AM
Betty J

I have been making ironing board covers for years, for myself and aslo for relatives and friends who have large older ironing boards. I quilt my fabric for the cover using pre quilted calico ( pre wash) pin the print fabric to the pre quilted calico ( print side down and the calico on top) and I quilt on the quilted calico side, on every second line making a quilted pattern approx 2 1/2 inches wide. I make a pattern from paper by turning the ironing board upside down. Pin the paper pattern to the quilted fabric and mark 2 3/4 - 3 inches all around. Cut out and add a casing 2 3/4 inches, and long enough to go all around the edge of the pattern. Turn a hem on one end and iron in half. Starting for the centre of the wide end stitch the casing all around, when almost at the end, cut and hem to met up with the starting point. I then overlock the seam and top stitch on the casing edge. Thread 1/4 inch elastic through the casing and thread the ends of the elastic through a toggle and knot off. This allows you to tighten the elastic if needed. I have just finished making 12 covers. I will attach some pics for you. Pictured is ironing board covers fro myself and my daughter. two for laundry and two for sewing room. By having two for each it allows for regular washing. I find I get about 8 - 10 years out of a cover depending on the thickness of the fabric. Curtain materials or sheeting are more durable then reqular quilting fabric.

Last edited by Betty J; 06-02-2020 at 03:00 AM.