View Single Post
Old 06-04-2020, 07:35 PM
LAF2019

when I started quilting, I pretty much figured it out as I went along. nobody ever taught me and I wasn't savvy enough for internet forums or youtube. I really just used any thread that was on sale and don't think I changed the needle in my machine for years, so just used whatever came with the machine during that time. Later, when I decided I wanted to be more sophisticated, I tried learning about the different options. I got so confused and it seemed like everybody did things differently, so I am now back to "whatever is on sale".
That being said, I currently piece, quilt, and do everything in between with whatever thread is on hand, that includes embroidery thread, cotton thread, 40 or 50 weight, various colors (I don't even have to match my bobbin to my top). I have name brand stuff and cheaper stuff from Joanns. I just refuse to use "old" thread.... that is my only standard. I typically just use the universal needles 80/12, though I hear the top stitch needles are good. when I go through my "sophisticated" phase again, they are on my list to try, but I'm doing fine without them right now.

I say all that to encourage you not to get all bogged down by the details. grab some new thread and needles and just start sewing! (well, I *do* recommend changing your needle more often!)