View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 10:34 AM
tropit

Default Sprouted Corn Oregon Tempeh

I found this recipe in my wonderful, cookbook: Miso-Tempeh-Natto and Other Tasty Ferments, A Step-By-Step Guide to Fermenting Grains and Beans by Kirsten K. Shockey and Christopher Shockey

This recipe does not use any soy beans. It is made up of dried corn, dry pinto beans, dry scarlet runner beans, vinegar and starter. I don't have all of the stuff to make it right now, but summer is upon us and these are all easy to grow ingredients. I'm gonna plant them this week. In the mean time, I'll pick up the pinto beans and corn at the co-op and see if I can find a substitute for the runner beans. I'll keep you posted on how it works out.

Also, my homemade tempeh incubator has some flaws. I made it out of a ice chest, fitted with a small aquarium pump and bubbler and an aquarium heater to keep things a constant temperature. The heater doesn't work (brand new too...augh!) and the pump disappeared over the winter. (My DH isn't saying a thing, but I think he's guilty somehow.) Therefore, I think that I'm going to buy a bread proofing box to make tempeh and other things, like bread and natto, for instance. They're kind of expensive and they take up a lot of electricity, but they are precise and dependable.

~ C