View Single Post
Old 06-08-2020, 05:57 AM
OurWorkbench

Default June 2020 Colorado Get Together, Part 1

This is the third virtual first-Saturday-of-the-month get together for Colorado vintage and antique sewing machine enthusiasts. This way of meeting is a lot different for everyone. We're getting the hang of putting it together this way, but its a different presentation than simply recounting conversations that were had over a pleasant breakfast.

It should be noted that some in our group have gone to considerable effort doing write ups and taking their own pictures, which we assemble into the virtual meeting. The written text is much more detailed and the pictures are probably a lot better.

But it doesn't replace the experience of getting together and talking with each other face to face. Consider this extra effort by our group members to show that we like our group and want to keep it together, even through temporary challenging conditions.

With that said, let our show and tell begin.

Courtney

Courtney writes:

I have been playing with my quilting frame that I showed last month but things are not going great. The frame seems fine but it is tough to teach OLD dog new tricks. I will keep playing around. I will have an interesting machine to show next month but I haven't worked on the machine because I have been working on a quilting project. About a year ago I purchased about 250 five inch denim squares for $5 from the thrift store. The squares were cut from various pieces of old denim clothing (mostly jeans) using scissors. I decided to use them and have put together a bed top sized denim quilt. I used most all of the squares just as they were to give the quilt some character. I was able to use the large transparent tables I discussed a couple of months ago to work on the quilt and tried something new for me. In the past I have always spray basted my quilts but I figured the heavy denim would cause me problems so instead of spray basting I tried pin basting. I was quite pleased with the result and will probably try it again soon. I decided I didn't want to try free motion on such heavy fabric so I just did straight line quilting. I think it came out quite nice (see picture.) Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

Courtney
PS - just finished the quilt this afternoon!

courtney-denim-quilt-small.jpg

James

As you recall last time I was in the process of using JB Weld to repair the broken off hand crank assembly for a 1907 Singer 28. This is the complete repaired assembly.

james-image1a.jpg

I then installed the replacement tension assembly that came from a parted out 1906 Singer 28. The tension spring on the machine side was stretched out a bit too much like an abused metal slinky toy so the spring does not have the proper tension play when thread runs through it. A replacement spring is easy to locate as you can get new Singer 27 tension springs so I plan to order it. Currently it is set at a 45 degree angle and the stitches look good. Because of the “tired” spring I have to press farther on the tension release “spoon” to get the plates to open. Here is a stitch sample.

james-image2a.jpg

Next on the agenda was to make a simple temporary base. I chose to use some sawdust pressed boards that came from a macrophotography mineral photography rig that I built that came came apart too easily. After hand sawing and glueing the boards, I chose to use chalkboard black spray paint to dress it up a little. This is a photo after it was dry enough to place the machine on it.

james-image4a.jpg

There was still a bit of rust on the hand wheel so I took coarse then fine steel wood to polish it up a bit. There are still some things left to do such as touching up the bare spots with engine black paint and carefully softening up the old shellac to clean off the grime that did not come off with sewing machine oil and recoating with new shellac. A good quality wood base will also be built but as I think the chalkboard black paint looks really well paired with this machine it will be used again. The slim foot print of the base will be the same with just side handles to transport the machine. Since you can actually use chalk on it I may put some Singer style lettering saying something like 1907 Singer 28K. Then put a clear coat over the lettering to protect it. Here is what it looks like after cleaning the hand wheel. The day was overcast so it does not pop out as well as the earlier photo.

james-image3a.jpg

To be continued...