View Single Post
Old 06-10-2020, 05:07 AM
Iceblossom

I am hearing good things about those Eversewn Fizzle mentioned.

There are different types of simple. I'm rather attached to my simple vintage machine. I like my machine with the zig zag better than I like my even simpler Singer 301, but part of that is the slant needle thing too.

While some of the modern machines may look complicated, they typically are pre-set on some pretty basic combinations, and we can gleefully ignore all those confusing lines and dashes and buttons

Recently with Covid I had both my expensive and my vintage machine down and the repair shops closed and so I used a really low end Brother for a couple of months. This was the sort that sold for under $100 new, I suggest going up some from the bottom of the line, previously I had about a $200-300 from Costco that was a great class machine and I was very happy with it. The cheapo Brother had some real limitations (like I wanted more control over my stitch length), but I got through the Bonnie Hunter Frolic project and making masks with it. I ended up taping it to the table, it was running around like a loose dog. I have vision issues and was able to make sense of the control panel easier than my expensive machine where I can't read the buttons at all. Another positive is how easy Brother feet are to buy and switch and I was very pleased with the accuracy of my 1/4" quilters foot. The way the bobbin casing area was designed it was both easy to use and to insert the bobbin correctly. The "threading assist" was still better than any solution I've found on my vintage machine. My visually impaired hint for old machines and long arms is the "hummingbird" type needle threader.

Be aware that there was quite a run on machines with mask making and people at home. It may not be as easy to purchase one at all much less find a good deal as you would hope. But what fun for when you get things going. Working together, even when separately, is still fun.