View Single Post
Old 06-11-2020, 06:25 AM
bkay

If I made the top, it would definitely go out for quilting, as I'm not very good at it and it's too large to handle easily on my domestic sewing machine.

I don't know what your budget is for this project, but I would be careful to ask lots of questions on what you are going to get for the price you are quoted and what you expect. Since it's your first one to send out, make sure you know what you are getting. I've only used local quilt shops for my quilting, but have talked to local quilters about custom quilting. Locally, computerized quilting ("pantograph", I believe is the word for it) goes for two cents per inch. You provide the completed backing and batting. Some charge extra for thread, some don't. That's just an allover design that you choose from a catalog -nothing freehand.

Custom (freehand designs) quilting starts at four cents per inch and goes up from there depending on the complexity of the design and the experience and reputation of the quilter. Those with really great reputations for award winning quilts charge by the hour. The designs that some of the posters are describing are definitely customized quilting.

I'm in Texas which has mostly lifted the quarantine. I'm also in a large city where the quilt shops have been open a couple of weeks (with social distancing and masks, of course). I would not mail out a top to be quilted, but I have lots of local choices. In Charleston, I would think you have lots of local choices,too. Actually seeing the person and place might allay your trepidation.

(Prices quoted are local pricing as of last summer.)
bkay