Thread: First Quilt
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 08:39 AM
BonnieJP

I have not purchased a kit from Connecting Threads, but I have purchased a bundle of their fat quarters. The bundle included fabrics that coordinated well together.

I have purchased a few kits from other sources.
  1. The Jordan Fabric kits were fantastic. The pieces were precut, fit together perfectly and the instructions were clear and easy to follow. Jordan even has several YouTube videos that take you step by step through the instructions for making their quilts. I would definitely purchase more kits from them. Their website is https://jordanfabrics.com/
  2. I have purchased a couple of kits from local quilt shops. I have NOT been happy with those kits. One shop had a display quilt I really liked so I purchased it. When I got home and opened the kit, there was a one page (really an index card size instruction for a quilt that did NOT look anything like the one in the store. The fabrics in the kit were cut into yardage that had to be cut down into the quilt pieces, but I couldn't remember which fabric should go where in the quilt. After wasting a couple of hours trying to figure it out, I gave up and just made a simple quilt of my own design. The latest LQS kit I worked on had 5" borders with medallions in the corners. The kit said each corner medallion measured 5" square. Guess what - the squares were 5" x 5-1/2". The medallions had a preprinted "frame" around the picture, which meant you would have to cut the frame off on the sides in order to fit the medallions into the corners. I will NEVER buy another kit from a LQS.
I just introduced my cousin (who had never sewed anything before) started on quilting this past November. She made Donna Jordan's Jelly Roll Drag Race quilt. It is a very cute, super easy project for a beginner and there's a Donna Jordan YouTube video on how to make it. My cousin's quilt turned out great and it gave her the confidence to do more quilting projects. She is now "hooked" on quilting. I HIGHLY recommend this as an excellent beginner project. The YouTube is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loiM2xGMWJk