Thread: First Quilt
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2020, 02:59 PM
CaleyH

I washed the 4 inch fabric squares I got off of Amazon. I also received my 3.5 inch square cutting template. Placing the cutting template over the pressed washed fabric, I found I have just 1/8 of an inch or less. That means the washing process shrunk these squares about 1/4 inch or a little more. This must mean the fabric is of very poor quality, or maybe I am wrong.

Anyway, fabric I purchase from now on will be much larger, if there is a requirement to wash all of the fabric you will be including in a quilt.

Oh yes, by washing these little squares, I came out with lots of balls of thread. Some was from my dismantling of my first botched attempt at making a quilt. But a lot of it was from the fabric pieces themselves. Overall, I must have gotten two handfuls of these threads from the 300 pieces of fabric.

Lesson, if it is applicable, is "You get what you pay for." I definitely need to find a source for quality fabric that doesn't shrink like this stuff did, and doesn't fray on the edges. And I did follow the suggestion of washing in a pillow case, and on the delicate cycle, as well as low heat tumble dry.

: Do I wash my "Connecting Threads" "Mirage Tonals" 40"x2.5" strips of cotton fabric?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-14-2020 at 03:21 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps