Thread: First Quilt
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 03:44 PM
CaleyH

KrisB, Thank you for the Fat Quarter link and videos. This beginner quilt definitely looks like a winner, especially with the video tutorials. As my funds are limited for the next four months due to the sewing machine purchase, I can only deal with one fabric company. So it looks like it is between "Connecting Threads", and "Fat Quarter Shop". Both have good things for someone like myself.

cgsumter, Yes, "Connecting Threads" looks very good.

Presently I am taking the time, based on comments and suggestions here, to process my 2.5 x 40 inch fabric from "Connecting Threads" before using it. I found that using a washing machine and electric dryer to be detrimental to small pieces of cut cotton fabric. So , having a very deep kitchen sink, I hand washed the 40 strips, then hung them over my indoor drying rack. I am presently pressing, and removing all the lint and stray threads from the strips. This task is very time consuming, and I guess that is why the video from"Fat Quarters Shop" said it wasn't a recommended step for beginners. I do like the idea of using spray starch to stiffen up the fabric to make it easier to handle. I may try that on the next batch of fabric..