View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 09:01 AM
Iceblossom

Sounds like it will all work out ok. You are making a quilt for a baby that is going to get washed and gradually wear out, no problems with that. It should still last a couple of heavy use years even with a 6" quilt grid, but it isn't going to be passed down.

I typically use poly batts and spray baste and have very few problems. I did safety pins for years and would rather do just about anything else than that right now, even if I might put in just a couple when I'm first stabilizing my project with the quilting. That's what the quilting provides, is stabilization for the layers. The less stabilizing the more those layers shift and rub against each other. It just happens that some people can do marvelous things with their stabilizing! It is an art and a talent all its own and that I largely lack.

I do agree a walking foot is a good thing. But if you have $20 to spend and the choice is between spray baste, safety pins, or a foot -- I'd buy the spray baste myself.

Take lots of deep breaths and know we all started somewhere. You are making this with love, giving it with love, and it will be received with love. Even if it is slightly less than perfection, it is a beginning just like the new life. It's a wonderful thing and we hope you keep us posted on your project. Secretly?? we hope this is just the beginning of a life long hobby. One of us! One of us!

Last edited by Iceblossom; 06-15-2020 at 09:04 AM.