Old 06-17-2020, 04:37 PM
lizzie3

Default What do you use for the back of your quilts?

Usually I just buy some quilting fabric and sew it together to fit the quilt. Typically I would buy cheaper fabric for the back since I wasn't doing any piecework and would only buy medium quality if I felt the piece was special and a gift. I have made enough quilts that now I feel like buying at least medium quality for all quilts...

But do you all use quilting fabric or something else? Ive heard you can buy quilt backing which is just wider. I went to Fabricland (quality is halfway between Joannes and a quilt store) last week and asked for this and she gestures to a dozen rolls. There was a bright orange that I loved...the tag said "100% cotton sheeting" and I bought it without thinking much or really examining it.

I get home and omg does it ever feel cheap and strange! Almost feels like the fabric of a tent? It's also quite stiff...I'm worried that it will be hard to quilt, my machine only has 5" of space so is challenging enough.

Does anyone use cotton sheeting for the back? I'm worried to use it as I put more effort in this bedquilt than I usually do and don't want to ruin the quilt.

What do you put on the back? I make bed, lap and baby quilts, all meant for active use.

ps would you just get rid of this fabric? I kind of want to but feel quilty wasting it...