View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 05:23 PM
OurWorkbench

I personally don't think the belt looks that bad. It sounds like you would prefer to have someone else service your machine. I guess I've always been someone that would like to tackle some things by myself, with maybe some advice or suggestions from someone like my brother. This machine is a little more than something like a 15-30, 27-4 or 66-1, but still not hard. The manual is pretty good about where to oil and lube. With it not being a black machine with decals, it is easier to clean the outside. I have read about sewing machine repair (I use that term very loosely) people that basically don't have a clue about good solid vintage machines. They will sometimes use lube that shouldn't be used which jams things up if left to sit. Some will say that it can't be fixed (possibly offer you a trade-in) and try to sell you a new machine. Then turn around and do a basic clean, lube and oil to sell on ebay or wherever at a jacked-up price. Granted some of the parts are not being made any more, but usually it is something that either doesn't need to be replaced or can be adjusted to work. I have one machine (about 112 years old) that the tension assembly was missing, but still made good stitches.

As far as oiling, one wants to use just regular "sewing machine oil" and most will recommend not 3-in-1 oil. As far as the lube, there are a couple of places that sell lubricant that is similar to the original Singer lubricant as far as properties go. The Singer lube formula has changed over the years. A lot of people will use regular Vaseline Petroleum Jelly or Tri-Flow grease.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 06-21-2020 at 05:37 PM. Reason: grammar