View Single Post
Old 06-23-2020, 12:32 PM
tropit

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Your post on Limburger cheese brought up a memory of my father telling me a story from his youth. One of their friends in a group of boys got married. Instead of the old cans behind the car they snuck in and put a chunk of Limburger under the hood. As you could imagine as soon as the motor warmed up, the smell was atrocious. Of course by that time the cheese had melted and there was no easy way to remove it.
Funny!! Too bad they couldn't eat it. It doesn't taste anything like it smells.

I'm busy making a late, "Father's Day" dinner today. My dau couldn't get off work on Sunday, so we're having it tonight instead. I got thinking...here's another alkaline food...tortillas! Corn tortillas and tamales are both made with masa harina flour, which is made from corn that has been soaked in lye, an alkaline process. Hominy is a close cousin. So now I'm thinking...aren't grits made with hominy?

Anyway...I'm making homemade tortillas for our fried fish tacos. I was raised in Southern California and I think that just about every family that I knew in the 60s took their kids down to Ensenada, Mexico at least once. There on the beachfront, (and later with a view of the SS Catalina slowly sinking and rusting into the bay,) there was a large, taco shack. They served only one kind of taco, fried fish, with a mayonnaise sauce, chiles, and pico de gallo on top. 1 taco cost exactly $1. They were small, but hey, at that price you could feed the entire family for under $10 and they were sooooo gooood. The place was always packed.

When I was in high school, my boyfriend and I would go on surfing trips down there with his buddies. As soon as we got out of the water, we headed into town for our $1 fish tacos. After I was married, my DH and I had a sailboat docked in Ensenada and we introduced our kids to the (gasp!) $2 tacos. They loved them too. The SS Catalina is now gone and I don't know how much those tacos are today, but I'm certain that the taco shack is still there. It just has to be. So, as you can see, I'm cooking up some memories tonight.

And it's alkaline!

~C

Last edited by tropit; 06-23-2020 at 12:34 PM.