View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 10:03 AM
Pennyhal

Default What to do with quilt

Quilt forum

Many years ago my mother would complain that my father would lay on the couch and take a nap when he got home from work because she did want him to get the couch dirty. Now that was a fair assumption on her part as his business was repairing electric motors. So, I made a quilt to put on the couch for him to sleep on and my mother could simply wash the quilt and not fret about it getting dirty. He loved his qult.

After he passed, my mother made her way into a retirement home and brought that quilt with her. When my SIL saw that Mother had brought that quilt with her to the home, she refered to it as “that dirty old quilt.” I just laughed and said that Mother wanted it. Truth be told, it does look like a dirty old quilt on purpose! I made it with various greys and darker colors with trupunto hearts in squares so that it wouldn’t show the dirt and both parents would be happy. Mother lived to be 106 and I now have that quilt with me. Now, what do I do with it?

I do not have children, but I think perhaps a grandchild or great great grandchild of theirs might treasure it and the history. But, it may mean more to me than to them, like, who wants a “dirty old looking” quilt? It’s in fantastic shape, so that’s not an issue. My family lives in Michigan and I’m in California so it’s not like they can look at it first, or maybe they’d say they want it to just please me. Or maybe wait until my nieces or nephews have grandchildren of their own and give it to them to put on the carpet for the children to play on?

Sorry for such a long post, but I knew my quilting friends would understand and other people not so much. Any suggestions?

Penny