Thread: First Quilt
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 07:58 AM
Iceblossom

How are you planning to finish the top? I spent my first decade or two of yarn ties, and the last couple of decades machine finishing.

My advice is whatever you start with -- choose a busy print! They hide all sorts of things. Few things show all our imperfections as clearly as a plain solid... but on the other hand for a simple grid a slightly stiff sheet can really help a quilter.

The combination of batting and backing and top is another whole set of preferences. While some times you want that stiffer bottom, other times you want soft and bunchy, but until you know what you like to use and what you like to work with (it's wonderful when both coincide!), it's going to be a lot of trial and error. I like a combination of higher loft poly batts and less quilting than is currently popular/standard with warm and natural. Is just a preference, but I am in the minority on this one!

I still haven't tried the glue basting so many people here love, I want to but my friends keep handing me partially used cans of spray. If you go that route, make sure you get the quilting adhesive spray -- not all spray adhesives are suitable. Before spray I used safety pins.