Old 06-30-2020, 06:39 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
Default Tell me about your favorite salad fixin's

I really love salads. I mean the ones served with many ingredients but always with lettuces -- mixed, Romaine, green leaf, Boston, wild field greens, and so forth. I am not a raw spinach fan, though I love it cooked with lemon juice and salt.

Recently I've been making tuna salad -- like that made for a sandwich, with mayo and chopped celery, and a squirt of lemon juice in mine, and serving that over greens with extra sliced celery, tomatoes, a tangy vinaigrette, and topped with -- of all things -- lots of crumbled tortilla chips. I can't believe how much I enjoy the salty, vinegary tang of this salad!

I also make a steak salad of my usual mixed greens, leftover roasted potatoes, thinly sliced red onions, sliced celery, and leftover sliced steak, dressed with ranch dressing to which I've added a healthy dollop of prepared horseradish.

One more summer favorite is mixed greens with sliced cold chicken, fresh sliced strawberries, glazed pecans, feta cheese, and a dressing made of balsamic reduction to which I add honey and strawberry jam. Balsamic reduction is the simplest thing to make and is absolutely divine on so many things. Just simmer very good Balsamic vinegar until it begins to thicken and coat the back of the stirring spoon. That's it!

Tell me about your favorite green summer salads, please!