View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 12:36 PM
tropit

Thanks everyone. I do live out in the country and I am able to build a, "utility shed," without a permit, so that's not a problem. My husband is also a builder by trade. He just doesn't want to build it for me. However, my son has been staying with us and he's giving me a little sympathy on this topic, so the DH is starting to give in. (I know...family politics...they're a pain, but sometimes ya gotta do watcha gotta do.) The hubby suddenly just mentioned that he had some old windows that might be good for this project...and maybe some old redwood lumber too that he has saved up. Oh, and he also remembered that leftover metal roofing that he has saved above the chicken coop. Yes!!!

I don't need anything fancy for my shed/greenhouse. It can be quirky and cottagy, all pieced together with old stuff. I'll just grow some vines over the shed part to hide the flaws and put lots of beautiful plants in the greenhouse. It could be adorable! I've been snooping around Craigslist for free materials for the project.

I do like the idea of making it twice as big as I plan, but unfortunately, I have limited space on the plot where I intend to put it. It's going to have to be kind of small. Still, it's better than what I have now. I won't need to tie into the septic with the envirolet and there is a water spigot right at the site for the greenhouse. As for electricity, I'll splurge and get a small solar set-up. I might be able to find that used too. We have an old, woodburning stove that I can use for heat in the winter. Summer...I'll just open the windows. (Our entire property is entirely off the grid, so these things are no big deal to us.)

I'd really like to put a nice, long lap pool in front of the shed, but that is definitely out of the range of our budget. Gosh, it's fun to plan!

~ C