View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Eddie

Originally Posted by burnsk
Originally Posted by Eddie
Originally Posted by burnsk
Originally Posted by Eddie
The way I made the blocks is:

1. Lay two colors of fabric, right sides together, and draw a line diagonally from one corner to the other.
2. Sew 1/4 from both sides of the line and then cut diagonally on the line.
3. Cut the corners off each side and sew to the opposite side. You now have two resulting blocks that each have 4 stripes across each one.

I think you could probably figure out how to strip piece these, though, using the tube piecing method. The book I did this pattern from said to do it as stated above, so I just followed along with that.
I did OK up to step #3 then I got confused (not hard to confuse me). But I think you're right-on using the tube piecing method.
For step #2, after you've made that diagonal cut in step #2, you'll have two triangular halves from the original square. So you just make 2 more cuts parallel to that cut you just made, splitting the original square now into 4 pieces. You take the outer two pieces and switch sides with them so that the color pattern alternates in the finished block.
By jove, I think I've got it, step #3, I think. After you cut the corners and sew them on to the opposite sides, then you have to trim the block? I think your suggestion of the tube method would go quicker with less trimming. Did I get it? Every once in a while a light bulb does go on :roll:
Indeed, you did! :D After re-sewing the triangles back on you need to square up the block, since it's slightly larger and may be a little out of square at this point.