View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 05:21 AM
dunster
Power Poster

I've made more log cabin quilts than any other type. If I'm in a slump, I usually turn to a log cabin because it's simple, mindless sewing, and it can be put together so many different ways. Even my avatar is a log cabin! I think the reason I find log cabins easy is that I started with Judy Martin's log cabin books. Her methods involve no special rulers. For best results, cut the logs on the length of the fabric, and cut them all to the proper length before sewing. (I don't always cut on the length of the fabric when using scraps.) There is absolutely no trimming during construction of the block, and I have never felt it necessary to trim after the block is completed. Each log should fit exactly when it is sewn on, and if it doesn't then you know you need to figure out why and fix it immediately. Usually the problem is that your seam allowance is a little too large, or too small, but once you get that right the rest of the blocks will go together easily. Cutting the logs to size in advance takes less time overall than cutting each one as you sew it. (If you think about it, that cut has to be made sooner or later, it's just a question of when.) If you cut the log in advance, you have a much higher probability of the log being the right size. The picture is one of my favorite log cabin layouts.
Attached Thumbnails log-cabin-point-003.jpg