View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 02:46 PM
CaleyH

Default Learning How to Make Quilt Blocks

Yesterday I finished my first quilt. I learned a lot doing that first one, but I see there is what seems, an infinite amount of knowledge about the quilting hobby. I really had no clue where to start, but decided it might be fun to learn how to build the various quilt block patterns you can find for free online.

So I copied the necessary information for what is called a "Double Pinwheel. I am guessing I have to acknowledge, and provide credit to the "Generations Quilt Patterns" website. Thanks for posting a source for those of us learning.

Here is my first attempt at doing something other than basic blocks and strips.

Lessons learned: When sewing along the fabric bias, make ssure you securely hold the end of the fabric all the way through to the needle. The fabric tends to want to move outwards, causing the 1/4 inch to widen.

Also, and I am guessing all of us have done this when first starting, make sure you are sewing the correct side of the fabric sandwich. I did four of my sub-blocks the wrong way, and had to get them apart, and do over.

And cutting fabric accurately is difficult enough when just cutting squares. Cutting triangles is even more challenging, especially for those whose eyesight isn't the best. I ended up trimming the edges of my final 8 inch block to get it as even as possible.

I will be making as many different kinds of blocks in the 8 inch size as possible. Eventually I hope I have enough to put all together for my second quilt.

Attached Thumbnails dpbp.jpg