View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 04:09 AM
OurWorkbench

Default July 4, 2020 - Colorado Get Together, Part 1

Our Colorado get together coincides this month with the 4th of July. It was a beautiful Saturday morning with clear blue Colorado skies.

Several of our members have sent pictures and descriptions of their activities over the last month, which we are posting here. Thanks to all who contributed. We all look forward to our regular get togethers as soon as they can resume.

Paula

Paula sent some pictures from a shopping outing.

Hi. I found this at goodwill last weekend. I'm not sure on age, but it is totally cute.

paula.jpg
Carol

Carol writes:

I really miss the actual meetings too.

The Choctaw Nation of OK, of which we are members, has a full regalia but for other festive occasions or even every day women wear ribbon skirts and men wear ribbon shirts. My daughter and her fiance Luke were scheduled to get married on the 26th. Since that was postponed, they got together with their friends to celebrate. She had asked me for a ribbon skirt and shirt for the rehearsal dinner, so I sewed them for this party. She picked the colors. And I sewed this month! Getting back to normal.

carol.jpg

Carol

Courtney

Dear All,

This month has been busy. Each year the Boulder County Museums has a day of "Crafts and Trades of Olden Days" in Longmont. I take several of my old machines and show them off. Rather than just sit there and talk I take quilting squares and have people sign them. Each year I then make the signed squares into a quilt. Since last month I have finished 2019's quilt.

Unfortunately I do not think they will be having the outing this year in September. I guess I will have to wait until next year to show it off.

courtney-quilt.jpg

I have also been playing around some with a strange little sewing machine. The machine plus motor weighs about 12 lbs. The machine, motor, foot control, and case weigh about 18 lbs so I am sure it was designed as competition for the "Featherweight." The machine has been designed around standard "model 15 parts." The motor and foot control are standard for the time. The upper bobbin is the same as a clone "15" bobbin plate. The lower bobbin assembly is also the same as a "15" clone. It is rather funky looking.

Originally I thought that the top (front and back) was stamped steel but it appears to be thin cast aluminum. The one part (and weakest part) is the table. Since this was just stamped steel, it had gotten bent in a couple of places. I have tried to gently get it back into the original shape. The interior has a cast skeleton of some kind. It is not aluminum or steel. I think it is some kind of pot metal similar to a number of toy machine I have seen. Other than the bent top plate, the machine was in good (but dirty) condition. I took it apart and gave it a once over cleaning and oiling and it does seem to work. The machine had easy to use oil ports. I don't think it gave the Featherweight much competition.

courtney-machine.jpg

Courtney also sent links to several YouTube videos that are sewing related. We have included them in a .pdf (Adobe) file, for any who would like to look at them.

Courtney-Videos.pdf

He continues:

Hope every one is doing well and staying safe. Until next month....

Courtney

to be continued...